Tel: +44 (0)20 7377 0800
Fax: +44 (0)20 7349 5157
Tel: +81 (0)80-1164-4754
Request a Demo
What our customers are saying
When I think of the future, I think of EvaluatePharma
Global pharmaceutical company
Worldwide Medtech Sales Forecast to Reach $477.5 Billion by 2020
Annual “EvaluateMedTech World Preview 2015, Outlook to 2020” report shows continued medtech sector growth
LONDON, BOSTON, TOKYO, SAN DIEGO (October 6, 2015) — The total value of the global medtech market is expected to reach $477.5 billion by 2020, growing at an annual rate of 4.1 percent over the next five years according to the “EvaluateMedTech™ World Preview 2015, Outlook to 2020” report from life science market intelligence firm Evaluate Ltd. The report also found that worldwide medtech R&D expenditure is forecast to grow by 3.5 percent per annum to reach $29.5 billion by 2020.
“A huge wave of consolidation crashed over the medtech industry in 2014 and early 2015. While megamergers are still occurring, with luck, the immediate future will bring a steady stream of smaller tuck-in M&A deals too. In combination with an increase in FDA approvals for innovative devices, these trends should reward the companies developing the best and most useful technologies,” said Elizabeth Cairns, medtech reporter for EP Vantage, Evaluate’s editorial team.
EvaluateMedTech World Preview 2015 Highlights:
- Worldwide medtech market forecast to grow more slowly than prescription drug market, with a CAGR of 4.1 percent between 2014 and 2020 versus 4.9 percent for pharma.
- Total medtech M&A deal values rose 166 percent to $84 billion in H1 2015.
- Medtronic’s $49.9 billion acquisition of Covidien in January 2015 was the biggest deal in medtech history.
- Johnson & Johnson held on to number one position in 2014 with medtech sales of $27.5 billion but Medtronic steals the top spot from 2015 onwards with a 2020 sales forecast of $34.9 billion.
- The FDA approved 30 new PMAs in 2015 through the end of August, representing a 50 percent increase over the same period in 2014.
- Value of venture financing fell 14 percent in H1 2015; deal count decreased by 13 percent.
- Medtech IPO activity cooled in H1 2015 compared with H1 2014 but still on an upward trend from 2013.
The, “EvaluateMedTech World Preview 2015, Outlook to 2020” report, based on market intelligence and consensus forecasts from EvaluateMedTech, can be downloaded at http://www.evaluategroup.com/MedtechWP2015. A hard copy of the executive summary will be available at Evaluate’s AdvaMed 2015 booth #501, which is taking place October 5-7, 2015 in San Diego.
About Evaluate Ltd.
Evaluate is the trusted source for life science market intelligence and analysis with exclusive consensus forecasts to 2020. We support life science and healthcare companies, financial institutions, consultancies and service providers in their strategic decision-making. Our services include EvaluatePharma, EvaluateClinical Trials and EvaluateMedTech. Our global team of dedicated healthcare analysts employs rigorous methodologies to deliver strategic commercial analysis. We make our services valuable by combining superior quality content, user-friendly reporting tools and outstanding customer service to solve client problems.
For more information visit: www.evaluategroup.com. On Twitter: @evaluatepharma, @evaluatemedtech, @epclinicaltrial, @epvantage, @evaluateJP.
Back to Press Releases